The best gifts come in the strangest packages. When I was in my mid 30’s a tiny little voice in my soul saved my life. I was in a very dark place and this whispered guidance prompted me to pick up the phone and ask for help. That simple action changed the course of my life. It has been a long journey with many ups and downs but coming through the darkness and pain has led me to live a life I had only glimpsed in my wildest dreams. Any action toward living your creative and purposeful life is the most important step you can take. Even imperfect action can move you toward a goal. Perfection is never attained, and it only delays you from acting, so take any imperfect action today to nourish your creative soul.
The idea of nurturing myself was a foreign concept, yet I yearned to be heard, to be seen and to have meaning in my life. I would feel it in my dreams and then think I had found it, only to see it all crumble. It was built on quicksand and appeared as a mirage because I wasn’t connecting my mind with my heart and soul. When dreams are sought simply for external gain, they do not last. In fact, you end up feeling emptier, always trying to fill that void in your gut. So instead of using unhealthy ideas, actions or things to fill the void; take a step into your new destiny. Any action that shakes up your day and wakes you up from complacency will do. You may say, well it is not the perfect career or job I want, but I need a job. The job may put you in the right place to connect with the person you need to manifest your dream job. Or you may need to learn these basic things before you can soar. It isn’t the art I want to make, or I don’t even know what I want to do, be, etc. Take a step each day to put you closer to your dream.
When you make a move, you show the Universe that you are serious about learning. Try writing your short stories or poems and publishing them on a blog, sketch in public, join a community choir or learn how to play an instrument. Help a non-profit, volunteer for a project, even small steps put you in the flow. When you are anxious or depressed about your situation, you may be afraid of change. What if I make the wrong decision? What if I don’t like the result? What if I get ridiculed or my loved ones leave me? All the what-ifs in the world keep you frozen where you are. Act, rather than reacting.
One day I was feeling stuck in my life. I had a job I loved, but I wasn’t moving toward what my soul was whispering to me to do. I kept thinking I could fit my dreams in without making any big changes. I had responsibilities, bills to pay and people to look after. How could I be selfish and follow my dreams? Yet, how could I not? My heart and health were begging me to listen to those whispers. To honor my beliefs. This day, I decided to take off from work and go to the arts district for inspiration. I invited a friend for lunch and after we had a beautiful meal sitting outside on a flower-filled terrace under brilliant blue skies, I felt myself thinking, I can get used to living this way. After our coffee, we walked across the street to a little gallery. The director told us about the art and that the artist had just returned from painting a commission in Paris. The gallery had already pre-sold several of the paintings. I loved her work and I wanted her life! Suddenly I had a very clear picture of the life I wanted. I wasn’t sure how I would get there, but I knew I had to try.
I began by taking action each day; even imperfect action. I spent more time making art. I asked artistic people I knew what they did to nurture this part of their soul. I opened my eyes to connections. I said yes to whatever opportunities came my way to share my art. I began to think expansively. I felt with all my senses the aspects of this life that I wanted. I held this vision close and knew it was coming to me in perfect timing. I trusted it was possible and that I would get there, and I did! There were some detours, some wrong turns, but I had my destination plugged in to my GPS and I kept recalibrating.
Here are five steps you may take to push you on your path:
1. Take a step every day to move you closer to your desired outcome or dream life. Make a list of the things you must accomplish or do to live your dream. Then, imagine one little thing that can move you closer to it. It may be as small as researching a topic, letting go of something that no longer serves you or allowing your mind to take a holiday.
2. Giving to others opens you up to miracles even faster. When you help someone, or pay it forward anonymously, your physical chemistry gives you a charge. When your feel-good receptors are open and flowing, so are you, allowing the miracles you desire to reach you.
3. Learn something new-expand your possibilities. Jump in and release yourself from prejudging an activity, event, class or person. Give them all a chance. Train yourself to find something beautiful in everything.
4. Interview people that are living the life you want. Learn the art of active listening. People love to be heard and remembered. Practice repeating back to them what you have heard them say. They will love you!
5. Take off your cloak of invisibility and spread your wings, and Fly Like You Know You Can. Let the Universe know you are ready.
Stay on top of the Creative Awakening blog and have them delivered straight to your inbox, sign up.